Dance Magic Dance

4: The Thing

[11/17/2014 12:10:00 AM] Kii: “Yeah, you’d only need one, maybe.” She glances at Rick and raises an eyebrow, "are you going to… " her green eyes drift to the painting of Colby.
[11/17/2014 12:10:06 AM] Maq: “I bet it was the weird creepy tree one,” she says. “Oh, I wonder if it’s that tree. It does look menacing enough.” She darts a glare out the window. “And maybe she pours it over the paper when she wants to start over?” Maggie knows art gud.
[11/17/2014 12:10:52 AM] Maq: She looks at Rick, at the paint thinner, at the painting. “No,” she says then with a huff. “If you do that, you gotta do my glasses first.” She takes her glasses off then, blearily holding them.
[11/17/2014 12:10:54 AM] zuarkeror: The closet is full of black clothes, mostly.
[11/17/2014 12:11:17 AM] Auds: “Hello?” she whispers, just in case that’s where Xyza’s hiding.
[11/17/2014 12:11:24 AM] Adam: Rick is still looking for brushes, though it’s more because he vaguely suspects she ran off with them.
[11/17/2014 12:11:24 AM] zuarkeror: No one answers Vee.
[11/17/2014 12:11:41 AM] Adam: “I’m not a wizard, I’m just investigating,” he protests mildly.
[11/17/2014 12:11:44 AM] zuarkeror: There are a couple of brushes lying around. A few other painting tools, too.
[11/17/2014 12:11:59 AM] Maq: “Good,” she says with a huff and puts her glasses back on. “I bet she just steals things and paints ’em.”
[11/17/2014 12:12:14 AM] Maq: Maggie pauses, and then drops on the floor to peek under the bed.
[11/17/2014 12:12:20 AM] zuarkeror: “No,” Laverne says to Maggie, piping up all of a sudden. “I think you’d better try that.”
[11/17/2014 12:12:35 AM] Auds: This is pretty much what she expected. She leaves the closet alone and quietly closes it. “No, I wanna see,” she says, moving to grab one of the bottles of thinner. “With the glasses.”
[11/17/2014 12:12:36 AM] Maq: “Huh?” She says from her spot on the floor. “Yeah, I am?” She gestures under the bed.
[11/17/2014 12:12:40 AM] Kii: Epiphany moves to the easle, and takes a jar. She pours some turpentine in, takes a brush, and then holds her hands out. “Let me see your glasses, Maggie.”
[11/17/2014 12:13:01 AM] Maq: She huffs and then takes her glasses off, handing them to Epiphany. She then takes a few moments to scramble back up to her feet, mostly blind.
[11/17/2014 12:13:11 AM] zuarkeror: Laverne watches Epiphany intently.
[11/17/2014 12:13:16 AM] zuarkeror: Under the bed: nothing.
[11/17/2014 12:13:17 AM] Auds: She waffles, then puts the thinner back.
[11/17/2014 12:13:17 AM] Adam: “Just like the back tip, though,” Rick says, reaching out to steady (and restrain) Maggie with a hand on her shoulder.
[11/17/2014 12:13:54 AM] Kii: Epiphany takes the brush, gets it sopping wet with the noxious smelling turpentine, and very carefully runs the bristles over one of the prongs of Maggie’s glasses.
[11/17/2014 12:14:01 AM] Maq: Maggie squints – and smiles blankly to Rick – before squinting back at what Epiphany is doing.
[11/17/2014 12:14:23 AM] zuarkeror: The prong melts, dissolving away into a drip of liquid color that runs down Epiphany’s fingers.
[11/17/2014 12:14:46 AM | Edited 12:15:11 AM] zuarkeror: Granted, most 11 year olds don’t dabble in physics or chemistry, but this is strikingly unrealistic.
[11/17/2014 12:15:15 AM] Kii: Her eyes go as big as eggs, and she holds her hand out away so that the color doesn’t drip onto her clothes. “It… It melted!!”
[11/17/2014 12:15:20 AM] Maq: Maggie can only sort of see this, and probably doesn’t really react until the others do, but when they react, she leans in close. Her nose wrinkles at the turpentine, and then she flails her hands. “Woah, what?!”
[11/17/2014 12:15:31 AM] zuarkeror: BOOM.
[11/17/2014 12:15:33 AM] Adam: “Just part of it,” Rick assures Maggie.
[11/17/2014 12:15:33 AM] Auds: “I knew it!” Vee says, startled, as she returns from putting the bottle back in the corner.
[11/17/2014 12:15:42 AM] Auds: Then she startles, spinning around and trying to pinpoint the noise.
[11/17/2014 12:15:44 AM] Maq: She flails and looks around at the BOOM sound, not that she can really see.
[11/17/2014 12:16:18 AM] zuarkeror: There’s the quiet sound of a switch being flicked—something, somewhere, clicking on.
[11/17/2014 12:16:33 AM] zuarkeror: Music begins to play. Very…very loudly.
[11/17/2014 12:16:36 AM] Kii: Epiphany lets out a tiny EEP and nearly drops the glasses, wiping the melty end and her hand on a rag and jamming the brush into the jar. She quickly pushes the half-melted glasses into Maggie’s hands, and pokes her head out into the hallway.
[11/17/2014 12:16:36 AM] zuarkeror: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYJGt67Mwmo
[11/17/2014 12:17:31 AM] Kii: Epiphany does not wait— she is out of the room and going as quickly as she can to the source of the music.
[11/17/2014 12:17:42 AM] zuarkeror: The music is so loud that the source is indiscernible.
[11/17/2014 12:17:47 AM] zuarkeror: It practically shakes the entire house.
[11/17/2014 12:17:57 AM] Adam: Rick tries to make sure Maggie gets her glasses on.
[11/17/2014 12:18:20 AM] zuarkeror: Maggie’s glasses don’t sit quite right on her face, now that one of the prongs is partially melted.
[11/17/2014 12:18:23 AM] Auds: Vee is rattled by this, scrambling some as she races to follow Epiphany, bolting for the stairs.
[11/17/2014 12:18:32 AM] Maq: Maggie scrabbles to get the half melted glasses and put them on her face, blinking owlishly through them. Now they’re a bit lopsided though, so she holds them on with her finger as she looks around, and then scrambles a bit after Epiphany, trying to find the source all the same.
[11/17/2014 12:18:47 AM] zuarkeror: As Vee and Epiphany head for the stairs, they start hearing something else, downstairs in the house—something loud. It sounds like a horse galloping or something of the like.
[11/17/2014 12:18:48 AM | Edited 12:18:56 AM] Adam: Maggie at least partially seeing again, Rick also scrambles to follow.
[11/17/2014 12:19:36 AM] Auds: “What’s going on?” she squeaks at Epiphany, half-sliding down the stairs as she tries to abruptly stop mid barreling-descent, alarmed by the hooves.
[11/17/2014 12:20:04 AM] Adam: Rick stops, wheels around, and goes to grab a thing of paint thinner to bring with him.
[11/17/2014 12:20:04 AM] Kii: Epiphany jumps to the last step, grimacing as the loudness of the sound hurts her ears, and looks around wildly for the source of the ‘hoof’ sounds. “I DON’T KNOW!” she tries to shout over the music.
[11/17/2014 12:20:24 AM] zuarkeror: Vee’s words are completely drowned out by the cacophony—until further notice, no one can be heard unless they shout or scream, and even then, only people directly adjacent can understand. This is now a rock concert.
[11/17/2014 12:21:12 AM] Maq: Maggie comes to a halt dead last, staring down the stairs. She doesn’t try to scream or shout – just holding her glasses on. She looks down, looks around, and then gestures for people to take a few steps down, straining on her tip toes to try and see past them.
[11/17/2014 12:24:20 AM | Removed 12:30:01 AM] Auds: This message has been removed.
[11/17/2014 12:24:44 AM] Adam: Once he has the paint thinner Rick tries to get to the bottom of the stairs and see where everyone’s gone.
[11/17/2014 12:24:51 AM] zuarkeror: As the group starts to head down the stairs, the thing comes into view. The monster is enormous and defies all description. The kids will remember it differently after the fact: some will swear they saw a goat’s head, others a pig’s, still others a wolf’s or horse’s. It’s some manner of animal head, to be sure—maybe. And yet, didn’t its expression seem so very human? Did it not walk on two legs? Or did it walk on four, and have arms to spare? The group—those of them who survive, anyway—may debate this later. For now, there is a monster that defies all description directly approaching the stairs from below in a thunderous approach, its eyes full of blood and murder. The thing is nightmare come to life—it is a stark statement against all reality, against all assurances these children have had from loving caretakers that the world was a fair, safe, or even sane place. From this point forward, all actions which are NOT directly fleeing or remaining in an established hiding place suffer a 3 penalty. This includes any and all actions to assist others in fleeing. Please confine your posts from now on to a single action at a time.
[11/17/2014 12:25:41 AM | Edited 12:25:59 AM] zuarkeror: Additionally, anyone attempting to take any action apart from directly fleeing or hiding must pass a Res+Comp test at -2 in order to be allowed to do so.
[11/17/2014 12:26:44 AM | Removed 12:29:53 AM] Maq: This message has been removed.
[11/17/2014 12:27:11 AM | Edited 12:29:46 AM] Kii: Epiphany’s ghastly SHRIEK is mostly lost in the roar of music, and she does her best to squeeze past the other kinds/step over them in her wild attempt to race back up the stairs.
[11/17/2014 12:27:44 AM | Edited 12:27:47 AM] zuarkeror: To be extremely clear about how everyone is situated:
[11/17/2014 12:27:45 AM | Removed 12:29:42 AM] Adam: This message has been removed.
[11/17/2014 12:28:48 AM] zuarkeror: Rick → Petra → Laverne → Epiphany → Maggie → Vee → MONSTER. Everyone is crammed into a stairwell that’s only about one and a half kids wide. It is a straight stairwell, blocked on one side by a wall and another by a bannister and wooden slats. The monster is directly at the bottom of the stairs and is about to come charging up.
[11/17/2014 12:29:06 AM] zuarkeror: That is to say, anyone going DOWN the stairs is running through Maggie and Vee and running straight at the monster.
[11/17/2014 12:29:56 AM] Kii: (edited my post, thanks!)
[11/17/2014 12:30:17 AM] Auds: (deleted mine too cuz it was premature!)
[11/17/2014 12:30:55 AM] Adam: Rick scrambles back the other way again – he’s good at the shuttle run, he thinks inexplicably amidst the madness – then turns right towards the bedroom, pressing himself up against the wall but still clutching his paint thinner.
[11/17/2014 12:31:13 AM] zuarkeror: Which bedroom?
[11/17/2014 12:31:18 AM] Adam: The dark one.
[11/17/2014 12:32:22 AM | Edited 12:33:42 AM] Auds: Vee tries to scream but can’t actually make any noise, as it turns out – it’s lost in her throat somewhere, but she wildly tries to run, pushing against the people above her on the stairs, trying to worm her way through if they don’t get out of the way.
[11/17/2014 12:34:04 AM] Maq: Maggie has one hand devoted to holding her glasses up, and one devoted to being in a total panic. It’s flailing wildly. She seems to dimly realize she’s not going to make her way fully up the stairs what with the other kids being in the way, and she seems to realize too that this THING is probably going to EAT one of them – she scrabbles up the stairs as best as she can but stumbles as the others run and shove passed her, and then does the only thing she can seem to think of – and that is for one spare moment as she trips in her panic on her way up her stairs, just fling something that she can at the thing to try and distract it for even a moment while she’s fleeing. This thing, of course, being the only thing she’s got in her hands – that is, her glasses, now with a bit of stinky paint thinner on one ear.
[11/17/2014 12:35:15 AM] Auds: Vee – if she makes it, though at the moment it seems impossibly far away – is clawing and scrabbling in an attempt to get back to Xyza’s room. But the stairs are awful long and crowded.
[11/17/2014 12:36:56 AM] zuarkeror: Just waiting for Epiphany.
[11/17/2014 12:37:06 AM] Kii: (errr, sorry, I will repost it?)
[11/17/2014 12:37:20 AM] zuarkeror: Oh, sorry, I thought you deleted that post entirely.
[11/17/2014 12:37:28 AM] Kii: Epiphany’s ghastly SHRIEK is mostly lost in the roar of music, and she does her best to squeeze past the other kinds/step over them in her wild attempt to race back up the stairs.
[11/17/2014 12:37:58 AM] zuarkeror: Epiphany, Vee, roll Str + Brawl. Whoever gets more successes gets to the top of the stairs.
[11/17/2014 12:38:20 AM] Kii: 0s
[11/17/2014 12:38:36 AM] Auds: ..also 0s
[11/17/2014 12:38:54 AM] zuarkeror: Epiphany and Vee trip over each other and fall down near the top of the stairs. This leaves the two of them, plus Maggie, in a sort of heap on the stairs.
[11/17/2014 12:39:18 AM] zuarkeror: Maggie hurls her glasses at the creature, which uses one of its huge appendages to slap them away. The glasses can be heard clacking off the wall and skittering away to who-knows-where.
[11/17/2014 12:40:26 AM] zuarkeror: Laverne and Petra scramble into Xyza’s room. Laverne is screaming something in Russian at the top of her lungs.
[11/17/2014 12:41:00 AM] zuarkeror: Another round of posts, please. The monster is nearly on top of Maggie, now in its lumbering charge up the stairs.
[11/17/2014 12:41:46 AM] Kii: Epiphany claws at the floor and the walls, trying to pick herself up. She’s stopped screaming, but her eyes are wild and focused on one thing: getting into Xyza’s room.
[11/17/2014 12:42:08 AM | Edited 12:45:21 AM] Maq: Maggie, at least, is intent on not shoving, and just goggles at the two as they fall over, and then stumbles backward, staring down at the creature which (quite fortunately) she can now only see in blurry outline. “MOVE!” she shrieks loudly at Epiphany and Vee, like that will help. But until Epiphany and Vee gets up, she seems to recognize she’s not getting up. She seems to steal herself as this terrifying monster gets close, trying to buy Epiphany and Vee time to move. (2s on 2 dice to do something other than flee or hide so as to not stumble over the others) She steels herself, and then lifts her foot and tries to smack it into the things…face…nose blob, frantically.
[11/17/2014 12:42:49 AM | Edited 12:42:55 AM] Auds: Vee gets a real scream out now, though it’s mostly lost in the music, grabbing onto the banister to try to lurch to her feet and sprint back up onto the upper story, still striving for Xyza’s room, tears of terror startng to stream down her face.
[11/17/2014 12:44:49 AM] Adam: Rick takes a full breath in through his nose and breathes out as he steps out a bit from behind the wall, trying to arc paint thinner through the air into the monster’s eyes, or face at least. Even if the thing’s not made out of paint, turpentine in the eye has to hurt, right? He can’t quite keep his face from sinking when he sees Maggie not even scrambling. (3s to do something! and at 3/5 wp)
[11/17/2014 12:45:24 AM] zuarkeror: Dex+Athletics -3 to splash the turpentine.
[11/17/2014 12:45:53 AM] Adam: 1s!
[11/17/2014 12:47:40 AM] zuarkeror: The arc of toxic paint-thinner splashes from overhead, rippling over Epiphany, Vee, and Maggie and a little on to the…thing. If the impact of the paint-thinner makes any noise, it’s easily drowned out in the cacophony, but the monster’s screams of agony at its touch certainly aren’t. The thing clutches its own face, and emits a noise that is even louder than the blaring Metallica
-a noise which takes a tone that the kids will probably all disagree about later, if they survive this.
[11/17/2014 12:47:50 AM] zuarkeror: Epiphany, Vee, Str+Brawl both.
[11/17/2014 12:48:05 AM] Kii: 0s again
[11/17/2014 12:49:03 AM] Auds: 2s!! with willpower!
[11/17/2014 12:49:22 AM] zuarkeror: Vee manages to shove past Epiphany, leaving her there on the stairs, and bolting into Xyza’s room.
[11/17/2014 12:49:53 AM] zuarkeror: Okay, another round of posts.
[11/17/2014 12:50:52 AM] Maq: With Vee up and gone, it’s time for Maggie to scrabble further up the stairs – she scrambles desperately to try and lift Epiphany up and shove her. “MOVE!” She shrieks again – though now with the monster shriek-roaring and the Metallica, the sound is lost, and instead she just lifts and shoves. (1s to help someone else!) She scrambles and tries to shove Epiphany forward, twisting to stare down the stairs again.
[11/17/2014 12:51:02 AM] Kii: Epiphany’s eyes water at the unbelivably loud roar, her hands trembling as she attempts to right herself again and flee after Vee into the bedroom full of turpentine before she’s ripped in half on the stairs.
[11/17/2014 12:51:10 AM] Adam: “MAGGIE. EEE. MOOOOVE.” Rick roars at the top of his lungs (and probably still in vain). He backs up to get out of their way, hiding on one side of the bathroom doorway.
[11/17/2014 12:51:16 AM] Auds: She can hear the screams behind her – she’s stll breathing fast, making half-screamy noises herself, but when her feet find purchase on the floor she barrels into Xyza’s room and grabs the bottle of thinner she’d put back earlier, trying to pry off the lid.
[11/17/2014 12:52:38 AM] zuarkeror: Vee, Res+Comp-2 to think of anything that is not running or hiding.
[11/17/2014 12:53:13 AM | Edited 12:53:21 AM] Auds: (fail!)
[11/17/2014 12:53:34 AM] zuarkeror: Change your action, please.
[11/17/2014 12:54:12 AM] Auds: Instead she bolts for the window, sobbing as she tries to open it.
[11/17/2014 12:55:44 AM] zuarkeror: Epiphany and Maggie finally get into Xyza’s room. Vee tries the window and finds it locked. Laverne has already grabbed up a chair with the obvious intention of smashing the window. Petra is cowering uselessly in a corner.
[11/17/2014 12:55:58 AM] zuarkeror: Next round.
[11/17/2014 12:56:49 AM] Auds: (same roll to try to do something other than flee?)
[11/17/2014 12:56:59 AM] zuarkeror: yes.
[11/17/2014 12:57:34 AM] Adam: Rick darts forward to pour out great gobs of turpentine along the stairs as fast as he can, hoping to ward off the monster’s steps. (2s to do something other than run and hide, at 2/5 wp)
[11/17/2014 12:57:35 AM] Kii: Epiphany pauses for a brief moment once she bursts into the room, breathing hard and reaching out towards the easle… For the opened bottle of turpentine, and the third-filled jar. (2s for res+comp 2)
[11/17/2014 12:57:54 AM] Maq: As everyone tries to smash the window, Maggie turns. “RICK! GET IN!” She says. (1s to…do something not to flee????) If Rick DOES get in, she promptly and violently slams the door, and if there’s a lock, locks it – if not, she tries to yank something in front of the door to slow down the thing. If Rick doesn’t well…that’s another game. She stares at him – and then she dashes to get some turpentine as well.
[11/17/2014 1:00:17 AM] Auds: Vee backs away from the window with a desperate noise when Laverne goes to smash it, grabbing the turpentine again as she passes the stack, snotty and teary-eyed. (1s to do something other than hide!)
[11/17/2014 1:00:45 AM] zuarkeror: The thing leaps directly over the last few stairs, and the splashes of turpentine Rick had run forward to put on the floor. It lands directly on top of Rick, with its enormous weight, thumping down on top of the boy with a force as immediately and powerfully decisive as if someone had just dropped a refrigerator on top of him. He is pinned to the ground instantly with no hope of release. Maggie sees the hulking creature’s body completely eclipse her cousin’s, and there is the sound of feral growling and…chewing…out in the hall. There are not words to describe Rick’s animal screams.
[11/17/2014 1:02:33 AM] zuarkeror: Next round.
[11/17/2014 1:03:02 AM] zuarkeror: Again, anyone not wishing to RUN or HIDE needs to roll for it. Which is a strong suggestion that maybe RUNNING or HIDING are pretty good options.
[11/17/2014 1:03:22 AM] Maq: Maggie screams at that – she can’t see what’s going on very well, but she can HEAR the chewing and Rick’s screams, and so her scream is loud. (finally a failure on the res + comp – 2!) She screams violently and dashes – seeing people around the window and it still not open, she instead scrabbles to try and get under the bed or something – anywhere to hide, really.
[11/17/2014 1:03:54 AM] zuarkeror: Please define “or something”
- are you going under the bed?
[11/17/2014 1:04:15 AM] Maq: Oui! Didn’t know if there was room to scramble under, but Maggie will dive frantically under there as necessary
[11/17/2014 1:04:22 AM] zuarkeror: Okay, under the bed Maggie goes.
[11/17/2014 1:05:03 AM] Kii: Epiphany…. Drops the jar immediately once she hears Rick’s screams, and DIVES into the closet, closing the doors roughly and pressing herself back as far as she can among the black clothes, clutching the bottle of turpentine to her chest.
[11/17/2014 1:05:20 AM] Auds: Vee’s back to being unable to make real noises; she turns for the window again, but it’s still locked – at which point she dives for the closet too.
[11/17/2014 1:05:51 AM] zuarkeror: All right—Epiphany and Vee go for the closet.
[11/17/2014 1:06:17 AM] zuarkeror: I’m splitting up the chat, so please stand by.

Comments

zuark

I'm sorry, but we no longer support this web browser. Please upgrade your browser or install Chrome or Firefox to enjoy the full functionality of this site.